Snooker
Cue Change Pays Off: Mark Williams Wins Champion of Champions After Criticism
Mark Williams silences critics with a stunning Champion of Champions victory after a controversial cue change. The 49-year-old proves his resilience and defies expectations.

Tai Chengzhe/VCG via Getty Images
Mark Williams believes he has proved the critics who questioned his decision to change cue wrong after winning the Champion of Champions.
The Welsh Potting Machine was lambasted by seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry, as well as other pundits, for using his Zhang Yu cue after signing a sponsorship deal in China earlier this season.
Granted, the timing seemed strange as it came immediately after he was one ball away from beating Judd Trump to the £500,000 winner’s prize at the mega-money Saudi Arabia Masters.
He was hammered 4-1 by Rory Thor at the British Open and then suffered the same scoreline to Ben Woollaston at the English Open in his first two matches after the swap.
But the evergreen 49-year-old silenced the doubters as he beat Xiao Guodong 10-6 to land the prestigious Champion of Champions title for the first time in Bolton on Sunday night.
Williams told SportsBoom.com: “I swapped my cue after Saudi. I didn’t have to use it, I just picked it up and I liked it.”
“I thought I wasn’t really in the club much practicing but if I start using a new cue I’ll get in the club a little bit which I did.”
“I knew I’d lose a lot of games 4-0, 4-1 when I first started using it. I played Thor and lost 4-0 or 4-1. I played Ben Woollaston and lost 4-1, but I knew I would.”
“It didn’t make any difference to me because I’m in all the tournaments anyway after getting to the final in Saudi.”
“I wanted to try something different, and it takes a while to get used to a new cue, of course it does.”
I got some absolute stick saying this that and the other about it from commentators and people on social media. I don’t worry about stuff like that. All of a sudden, I’m used to it and I’ve won a big tournament here.
Mark Williams
“People will now probably be saying it’s the best thing I’ve ever done!”
“It’s just one of those things, you can’t please everyone. I done it for myself and I’m glad I did.”
That tough 10-9 defeat on the final black to Trump, after missing a match ball red, would have been enough to derail Williams’ campaign for the foreseeable future.
But less than two months later, the Welsh wizard was lifting silverware once again at the prestigious invitational event.
Williams continues to defy Father Time and who knows when he will stop clocking up the titles?
All we know for sure is fans have to savour one of the biggest characters in the sport for however long he decides to continue playing.
“I’d have rather have won the Saudi one because it was half a million for that!” Admitted Williams.
“But it didn’t come across my mind at all. It’s nice for me at my stage of life to be getting to finals and pushing these top players all the way.”
“I missed a red to win that one in Saudi. A lot of people said then it would take a long time to get over that. What a load of nonsense. I was over it within about five minutes.”
“I’ve won this one a month or two later. It’s unbelievable really. I don’t know how I’m still doing it. I’m still fighting away.”
Related Resources to Snooker Interviews
- UK Championship 2024: Shaun Murphy Believes a Trophy is on the Horizon
- Exclusive: Snooker’s Ken Doherty Laments Mark King's 'Ruined Legacy' After Match-Fixing Ban
- Exclusive: Mark Allen Hoping Champion of Champions Success Can Spark a Return to Form
- Exclusive: Phenomenal Judd Trump Sets the Standard, But Mark Allen Vows to Reclaim No.1
- Exclusive: Mark Allen Calls for Greater Spotlight on New Stars as Class of '92 Nears End
- Kyren Wilson: “Being World Champion Has Taken Me to the Next Level” After Dominating Judd Trump in Two Finals
- Neil Robertson Back on Top: Aussie Ace Hungry for More After Ending Title Drought
- Jimmy White: The 'Whirlwind' Still Storming at 62 with No Plans to Hang Up His Cue
- Judd Trump: The Ace in the Pack on His Aura, World No.1 Status, and Unstoppable Streak
- Exclusive: John Higgins Eyes One More Major as Masters Streak Hangs in the Balance
- Crucible King to Ironman: Luca Brecel Sets His Sights on a New Challenge
- “I Was Ready to Hand Up My Cue”: Mark Selby Overcomes Confidence Crises to Claim British Open Title
- Neil Robertson on Wu Yize After English Open Final: “At His Age, I Was at the Job Centre”
- 2024 English Open: “Maturity and Focus Will Get Me the Title,” says Wu Yize
- 2024 English Open: Neil Robertson Charges into Semis with Top 16 and Masters Return in His Sights
- Exclusive: Wu Yize Shocks Judd Trump in Career-Defining Victory
- 2024 English Open: Mark Allen Stuns John Higgins After His 1,000th Century Break Milestone
- 2024 English Open: Mark Selby Lashes Out at Brentwood Centre Conditions
- Snooker Legend John Higgins: No Room for Selective Play in My Battle to Stay in the Top 16
- Champion on and off the Table: Reanne Evans' Impact on Women’s Snooker
You might also be interested in
- How many Frames are there in the World Snooker Championship final?
- The Miss Rule Explained: Understanding its Application in Snooker
- 10 Steps on how to set a snooker table
- The Rules of Snooker: An In-Depth Guide
- How To Play Snooker For Beginners
- Understanding Push Shots in Snooker
- Snooker Player Received Ban for Betting
- How Many Red Balls in Snooker: A Quick Guide
- Are Snooker Players Allowed to Bet?
- What is an Each Way Bet in Snooker?

Shane is an experienced sports journalist with over a decade on the front line, covering everything from football to horse racing. A familiar face in the snooker pressroom, his work regularly appears in the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, and Daily Star, alongside SportsBoom.
While snooker is where many readers know him best, cricket is his true sporting passion, though he tends to keep that side of him separate from his professional beat.
A staunch traditionalist, he’s unlikely to share your enthusiasm if you believe The Hundred is the future of Test cricket.