Football
Crystal Palace and Fulham Locked in Battle for Ligue 1 Star Coach Pierre Sage

RC Lens v Paris Saint-Germain - Ligue 1 McDonald's 2025/2026 by FEP | Getty Images
Pierre Sage is a wanted man with two London Premier League rivals potentially facing a tug of war for the French coach of the season’s services, SportsBoom can exclusively reveal.
Sage had previously been linked with Queens Park Rangers, but that was before he masterminded FC Lens’ bid for a shock Ligue 1 title challenge this season.
Now, the 47-year-old’s ambitions lie above the Championship.
Europa Conference League finalists Crystal Palace have the former Lyon chief on the shortlist to replace Oliver Glasner, who will quit Selhurst Park at the end of the season.
But if the Eagles differ, then Fulham are keen to swoop should Marco Silva turn down a new contract offer.
Silva has again brushed aside speculation about his future, saying a decision will be made at the end of the campaign.
It seems likely, though, the Cottagers’ Portuguese boss will leave, potentially as a replacement for Jose Mourinho at Benfica should the ‘Special One’ return to Real Madrid as is widely expected.
MID-TABLE MEDIOCRITY
Fulham’s season has meandered to mid-table mediocrity, including last weekend’s drab draw at the bottom of the table, Wolves.
Sage is certainly in demand, especially after receiving the accolade of Ligue Un’s top boss, ahead of Paris Saint- Germain’s Luis Enrique.
He was recognised for pushing the European club champions all the way in the title race. Only a recent 2-0 to the Parisiens ended Lens’ dream.
However, Lens, who have qualified for next season’s Champions League, are 90 minutes away from lifting the Coupe de France for the first time since 1998.
They face relegation-threatened Nice in the final on May 22, potentially Sage’s last match in charge.
During his time with Lyon, he took them from the relegation zone up to sixth and to a first French cup final in 13 years.
He had replaced former Southampton manager Will Still but was then axed in January 2025.
Editor's Insight
With Marco Silva expected to leave for Benfica and Oliver Glasner also set to depart Palace, both London clubs face managerial change. Sage is highly sought-after, but Palace would likely be his preference if they secure Europa League football via Conference League success, giving them the stronger project.
Related Resources to Football Transfers & Rumours
- Andre Onana Told His Man Utd Career Is Over As Trabzonspor Plot New Loan Raid
- Liverpool Step Up Pursuit of Bournemouth Starlet Kroupi as Aston Villa Join Transfer Race
- Chelsea Pushed to Sign Marcos Senesi on Free as Liam Rosenior Sounds Alarm Over Squad Experience
- Juventus Lead Race for Manuel Ugarte as Manchester United Exit Looms
- Liverpool Target Crystal Palace's Maxence Lacroix as Long-Term Virgil van Dijk Successor
- Inter Milan Line Up Emiliano Martinez as Long-Term Yann Sommer Successor
- Polish Legend Robert Lewandowski Likely to Retire from National Duty Following World Cup Miss
- Man City Ready to Smash Record in £100m Swoop for Leipzig Star Yan Diomande
- Arsenal Ready to Spark £35m Transfer Battle for Norwegian Star Jens Petter Hauge
- Barcelona Draw Up Shortlist as Marcus Rashford Permanent Move in Doubt
- Roberto De Zerbi Told He Cannot Sign Mason Greenwood at Spurs
- Marc Cucurella Eyes Barcelona Exit from Chelsea After Explosive Interview
- Newcastle Could Battle Chelsea for Nathan Aké if Manchester City Sell
- Man Utd & Liverpool in Summer Battle for £80m Starlet Yan Diomande
- Serbian Teen Ahmed Hadzimujovic on Radar of Brentford, Salzburg & Udinese
- Fiorentina Set to Reopen Talks for Spurs’ Radu Drăgușin
- Flamengo Eye Shock Move for Richarlison If Tottenham Hotspur Suffer Relegation
- From Villa Park to San Siro? Ollie Watkins Attracts AC Milan Interest
- Manchester United Open Talks With Robert Lewandowski on One-Year Mentor Deal
- Harry Kane Set to Extend Bayern Munich Stay Ahead of World Cup

Neil has been a journalist for longer than he'd care to remember, having written for national newspapers and respected publications for over 25 years. For the last three years he has worked freelance for BBC Sport, working on the production desk as a sub-editor and also as a writer, covering a whole range of sports.
